Monday, February 26, 2018

Something New

I had a brain and spinal MRI last Friday. This was a repeat  due to the fact I had a relapse back in September.  RRMS is very tricky sometimes. You could be fine one minute and feel like crap the next. So in September apparently I had formed new lesions on the spinal cord and they were active. This is what was causing me to relapse. The repeat shows all lesions are no longer active. However, there is no way to tell if those lesions were there when I was diagnosed in 2011 or not. I was told technology is much better now and we can see much more than we could then. They had not checked the spinal column since my diagnosis,  because they normally focus on the brain. 
I am stable on the Tecfidera and have no side effects. There is a new medication they have suggested called Ocrevus. It’s an injection once every 6 months that takes 4 hours to receive. With Tecfidera I take it twice daily. However, I have to be put through a battery of tests, including a breast exam (mammogram). The breast exam will then have to be done every year while I’m on the medication. I don’t have breast cancer in my family. I’ve only had an exam at my yearly OBGYN appointment. I’m leaning towards just staying on Tecfidera for now. 
My Vitamin D has also been consistently low for the past year. They raised the dosage I take and it hasn’t helped. So now I’m taking 50,000 units once a week until it’s where they feel it should be. 
I’m so tired of pills. I hate taking them, looking at them, thinking about them, and having to take them morning, noon, and night. It is a very daunting task at any age, but especially someone as young as I am. My age says I’m relatively young, my insides scream something else. My body fights itself to live and I’m just off on the sidelines watching. I need and want to be back in the game. 

No comments:

Post a Comment